Not getting the results you deserve from exercise?
Get full details of our Online Nutrition Coaching course.
Top 10 High Protein Portable Snacks
Here is our list of the Top 10 High Protein Portable Snacks that will enable you to meet your daily protein goals when away from home.
Getting sufficient portions of protein can be challenging!
Carbohydrates are all around us on the high street. So, it's often beneficial to have your own source of protein, to consume in addition to something you've bought or to simply enjoy as a stand alone snack.
This is a list of the top 10 high protein snacks which can easily be carried with you on a day away from home, kitchen or when embarking on a road trip or flight.
1. Boiled Eggs
Benefits of Boiled Eggs:
- Cheap to buy
- Easy and quick to prepare
- Require no cutlery to eat
- Whites are full of high quality protein
- Yolks are full of healthy fats
- Contain micronutrients: Calcium, Vitamin A and Phosphorous.
2. Whey Protein Powder
Benefits of Whey Protein Powder:
- Cheap source of quality protein
- Requires no preparation
- Doesn't need to be refrigerated
- Can be easily mixed in a shaker with water, milk or almond milk
- Can be incorporated with other ingredients to make more substantial snacks or protein shakes.
3. Homemade Protein Bars
Benefits of Homemade Protein Bars:
- Can be made in large batches
- Extra portions can be kept in fridge or freezer for later consumption
- By making them yourself - you get to control what ingredients are used
- Provide a satisfying and tasty snack.
4. Peanut Butter
Benefits of Peanut Butter:
- Whilst also a good source of healthy fat, Natural PB is a great source of protein (8g per 25g serving)
- Provides high satiety due to fat and protein combination
- Easy to combine with higher carb foods such as apples, rice cakes etc. to control absorption rate
- Easy to transport and only a very small portion required.
Benefits of Jerky:
- Zero preparation required
- Comes in several different flavours to provide variety
- 25g of protein per 50g of Jerky.
6. Cottage Cheese
Benefits of Cottage Cheese:
- Low fat versions available
- 15g protein for a 110g serving
- Can be mixed with whey protein powder to provide additional flavour and increase the protein content of the snack
- Used as an ingredient in other dishes to boost protein content.
7. Greek Yoghurt
Benefits of Greek Yoghurt:
- Low fat versions available
- Fage is high in protein giving 10g for a 100g serving
- Can easily be mixed with whey protein powder to further increase protein portion achieved
- Healthy bacteria used in yoghurt production improve the gut microflora (gut health).
Benefits of Tuna:
- 27g of protein per 100g portion!
- Can be obtained in convenient sealed pouches.
Benefits of Oatmeal:
- 100g serving gives 16.9g of Protein
- Can be eaten hot, cold or added to other dishes to increase protein and fibre content
- Contains both soluble & in-soluble fibre
- Contains: Thiamin, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Manganese, Selenium and Iron.
10. Low Fat Swiss Cheese
Benefits of Low Fat Swiss Cheese:
- Tastes superb
- Easy to combine with meats such as ham, chicken or turkey to make a quick and convenient 'roll up' snack
- Contains vitamin A, calcium and selenium
- Packs 7g of protein per slice (21g).
That concludes our list of the Top 10 High Protein Portable Snacks.
Hopefully the examples above have illustrated how it's possible to take high protein snacks with you when away from your base.
Having a selection of these with you in your rucksack or cooler bag makes achieving a compliant meal a lot easier.
Need Help Making Sense Of It ALL!?
If you would like someone to simply tell you what to eat and how to consistently put together healthy meals - then you need our 1:1 Nutrition Coaching.