Not getting the results you deserve from exercise?
Get full details of our Online Nutrition Coaching course.
Review Myprotein Impact Whey Protein
Here we review MyProtein Impact Whey Protein Powder.
If you've wondered what Whey protein is and where it has a use, then this article will lay it out for you.
Review Myprotein Impact Whey Protein - What is it?
Impact Whey is a high protein powder which can easily be mixed with liquids (water, juice, milk etc.) or added as an ingredient to meals to provide a boost in protein.
Impact Whey is designed for use by anyone that is looking to increase the amount of protein in their diet.
Increasing protein can be desirable to aid: dieting, lean muscle mass retention or muscle hypertrophy (muscle gain).
Impact whey differs from a lot of other protein powders on the market in that it is very low in carbohydrates (1.0g per serving). This makes it an ideal option for anyone that is controlling carbohydrate intake and needs to be able to adjust their intake outside of their protein powder.
What is Whey Protein?
Whey can either be made specifically by separating it from milk or as a by-product from cheese production.
Whey Protein powder is a complete protein, meaning it contains all nine of the amino acids necessary for our dietary needs. Bodybuilders found Whey to be a useful source of protein to aid with muscle repair and growth following weight training.
These days, all sports supplement providers will carry a range of protein powder. Whilst this review concentrates on Whey, other types are available: Casein, Soy, Egg, Pea, Hemp, Brown Rice and Milk.
Each having various properties.
Use of Whey is a convenient method of increasing your daily protein intake. This has well established benefits of: aiding weight loss, lowering cholesterol, lowering blood pressure and reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease as well as promoting lean muscle mass.
Do I NEED to take Whey Protein Powder?
The truthful answer is NO. You don’t NEED to take Whey protein powder but you may find it beneficial and convenient.
When would it be useful to take Whey:
- When time is short and you can’t get a whole food source of protein.
- When you know you are attending a function and food choices will be sub-optimal. Think party or buffet type occasion. Having a protein shake prior to the event will allow you to make the overall selection more compliant.
- When you are looking to lose body-fat. Increased protein will aid in satiety and retention of lean muscle mass. Also, the increased thermogenic effects will assist by providing additional calorie burn.
- When additional levels of resistance exercise are undertaken.
- When looking to build lean muscle mass.
- When you are recovering from an injury.
- Older athletes, where protein synthesis has decreased.
- If you are Vegan and want to increase your protein intake.
- If you are female and menopausal age to reduce un-wanted symptoms.
Whilst all of the above are valid reasons why you might want to take protein powder, they need to be considered in the context of the goal along with overall calorie and macro nutrient intake.
E.g. if your goal is to lose body-fat, over consuming calories through any macronutrient (even protein) will still result in fat gain.
Review Myprotein Impact Whey Protein - Overview
Myprotein Impact Whey is created from premium grass fed cattle and provides an impressive (claimed) 21g of protein per 25g serving.
Additionally each serving provides 4.5g of Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) and 3.6g of Glutamine.
Having only 1.9g of fat and 1g of carbohydrate per serving makes it an ideal option for anyone looking to lose weight.
Impact whey comes in a wide selection of flavours. There are a large number of artificially sweetened options and a limited selection of naturally flavoured and Stevia sweetened versions.
Review Myprotein Impact Whey Protein - Testing Period
I've been using MyProtein products for a long time and would estimate that I have been using Impact Whey specifically for at least 5 years.
I moved to it after becoming educated on nutrition and discovering my previous brands were loaded with fillers and large amounts of carbohydrate which were literally un-doing my cardio and gym work!
Myprotein Impact Whey has become a common ingredient in my kitchen and is regularly re-ordered from MyProtein.
I use it in a lot of the meals and snacks that I make and it’s pretty rare that I just have it in a shake on its own.
A number of the recipes on this site use Impact Whey Protein powder as a simple way to boost the protein content in the meal or snack and therefore increase protein intake across the day.
Review Myprotein Impact Whey Protein - Positives
The main points of the product which I like are:-
- Superb quality product which provides 21g of protein per serving (it’s been independently Labdoor tested and proven to be 19g in the batches tested).
This is rare in an industry which has some unscrupulous players…
- The price point of the product is excellent. Especially if you take advantage of the regular MyProtein offers.
As a reader of this site you are welcome to use my discount code at the MyProtein checkout GLYN15 (15% off as a new customer) or GLYN8 (8% off as a repeat customer).
These discounts are across your entire cart contents not just individual items.
- The taste is excellent – I’ve been using Whey since the early days and remember some really nasty flavours that needed to be drunk with a clothes peg on nose!
- The natural flavourings are great options. This avoids you consuming a large amount of artificial flavourings – which I am not a massive fan of.
I don’t get hung up over the odd item with artificial flavourings but there is evidence that large doses of these affects gut flora and overall health.
- Impact Whey mixes easily into water, Greek yoghurt or fruit juice.
- Impact Whey is ideal for: cutting (fat loss), maintenance or bulking as it allows carbohydrate intake to be controlled outside of the product.
E.g. it’s easy to mix some Impact Whey into some porridge oats if you are looking to build muscle mass.
Or mix some into some low fat Greek Yogurt if you are looking to drop weight.
Without the pre-mixed carbs its more versatile.
- The choice of flavours is very comprehensive and really does offer something for everyone.
Natural Vanilla and Natural Chocolate are firm staples in my kitchen but I do get drawn into trying others as they become available!
Review Myprotein Impact Whey Protein - Negatives
What I don't like about Impact Whey:-
- Not too much to be honest!! It’s a superb product, which I confidently recommend to my clients on a regular basis.
- One minor gripe is that I’ve been using it so long that I remember when it used to come in containers rather than the soft pouches now used. These were a lot easier to store etc. but probably not so friendly on the environment.
- Some people have reported having ‘wind’ from using protein powder! I couldn't possibly comment 😉
Review Myprotein Impact Whey Protein - Summary
Obtaining your protein from food sources should always be your priority.
As well as the protein you will also obtain additional nutrients from a food source.
However, if time, convenience and cost are concerns then Whey protein powder is a perfect option to consider.
Summing up MyProtein’s Impact Whey Protein Powder:
- It’s a very cost effective way to increase your daily protein intake, when compared to whole foods (meats, fish etc.)
- It’s ideal for anyone that is looking for a convenient and portable protein source.
- Whether your goals are: muscle building, weight loss or weight gain – Impact Whey can be used for each of them. Ideal if you already hold stock and your goals change.
- It mixes superbly with water, almond milk, whole milk and Greek Yoghurt.
- Stock levels are always maintained. I cannot remember a time when I’ve ever had to wait for Myprotein to obtain stock of Impact Whey.
- Delivery is very fast and normally takes just a couple of days for the items to arrive.
- If you are new to Myprotein – feel free to use the Food The Facts Myprotein discount code : GLYN15 at the checkout and you will 15% off your entire order as a new customer. Once signed up they regularly provide offers on individual lines.