Not getting the results you deserve from exercise?
Get full details of our Online Nutrition Coaching course.
Healthy Recipe – Low Carb Cottage Pie
Healthy Cottage Pie
Ingredients (for 4 servings) to make Low Carb Cottage Pie:
- 500g of lean minced beef / steak.
- 1 stock cube.
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste.
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary.
- 2 tablespoons of frozen peas.
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce.
- 1/2 a large or 1 small brown onion.
- 2 medium potatoes.
- 200g cauliflower (frozen or fresh).
- Salt and pepper.
Method to make Low Carb Cottage Pie:
- Wash potatoes and cut into quarters (no need to peel them). Add to a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring pan to the boil and simmer until tender (about 20 mins).
- In a separate pan, add cauliflower, add water to cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 8-10 mins until tender.
- While veg is cooking, brown off the minced beef in a deep saucepan. Add onion and fry until soft.
- Crumble stock cube into meat and onion mix and stir.
- Add tomato paste, rosemary, peas and black pepper.
- Add 1 cup of the water from the cauliflower pan and stir in to make a gravy.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as required.
- Simmer the mix for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain the potatoes and the cauliflower. Mash the potatoes adding the butter and some salt and pepper as required.
- Add the cauliflower to the mashed potato and mash both together. Check the seasoning of the mix and adjust with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Using a deep pie dish (approx. 8″ x 12″) layer the meat mixture in the bottom. Add the mashed cauliflower and potato over the top of the meat and level with a fork.
- Place pie dish into a hot oven and bake for around 25-30 mins until the mash becomes golden in colour.
- Remove from oven and divide into 4 portions.
Calories & Macros for Low Carb Cottage Pie:
Calories : 230
Protein : 28 grams
Fat : 3 grams
Carbohydrate : 21 grams
Tip: leave the potato skins on and use the cauliflower water to maximise your nutrient intake. Don’t fear the potatoes – they are spread thinly over the 4 portions but still provide the taste and texture you are used to from a Cottage Pie.
Serve with a good portion of broccoli and carrots to round off the meal.