Not getting the results you deserve from exercise?
Get full details of our Online Nutrition Coaching course.
Recipe Healthy Chicken Curry
This recipe for Chicken Curry makes 2 portions.
Ingredients for Healthy Chicken Curry
- 2 skinless chicken breasts (approx. 175g)
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1.5 tablespoons of curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger.
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup of lowfat Greek yogurt (Fage etc.)
- 1/4 of a lemon juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon of chilli powder (optional depending on strength of curry powder)
- 1/4 cup of water
- Salt and cracked black pepper as required.
Method for Healthy Chicken Curry
- Trim any fat from chicken breasts and cut into small cubes.
- Chop onion into fine chunks.
- Peel and chop garlic into small chunks.
- Using a large frying pan, coat with low cal cooking spray and place on medium heat.
- Add onion and stir until translucent.
- Add garlic to mix, paprika, bay leaf, curry powder, ginger, salt and pepper.
- Continue stirring, add chicken pieces, tomato paste and water to mix.
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes until chicken pieces are fully cooked through.
- Stir in chilli powder (if required) and lemon juice.
- Simmer for a further 5 minutes – ensure chicken is fully cooked.
- Just before serving add yoghurt and stir in well – don’t cook for too long, if you do, it will curdle!
- Tip 1: Remember to remove the bay leaf before serving!
- Tip 2: Serve with a cauliflower accompaniment to avoid the high carbs associated with the traditional rice option.